Sunday, December 7, 2008

I love fondant!!

I love using rolled fondant to make my cakes. I have found a great recipe that is easy to make, easy to work with, and tastes great!

Rolled Buttercream Fondant
1 cup of light corn syrup
1 cup of shortening
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of clear vanilla extract
2 pounds of confectioner's sugar

1. Mix shortening and syrup. Mix in salt and vanilla.


2. Gradually add sugar until it is a stiff dough. Use dough hooks or knead by hand. (In the end, I find it necessary to knead with my hand to get it all blended smoothly.) Store at room temperature or in the refrigerator .

If you wish create colored fondant, I use Wilton Concentrated Gel. Add small amounts using a toothpick and knead the fondant until the color is uniform.

To use, roll on surface dusted with confectioner's sugar until 1/8 inch in thickness. Drape over frosted and chilled cake. I like to then keep my decorated cake in the refrigerator until a couple of hours before the special occasion.

3 comments:

Aimee said...

I LOVE your new blog! When you make it big with your own bakery, and hold your own cake decorating classes....I want to be the first student you take!

Amy Blackburn said...

Thanks for the fondant recipe. I want to try it. This looks a lot more fun than decorating with icing. Looks better too.

Shannon said...

I'm going to do it Jamie! I'm so excited to try it. I just might try tomorrow for Tom's birthday last week before doing Austin's for this weekend! Thanks again!